You’ve heard it all before – Facts Tell, Stories Sell! This is one of the mantras of network marketing. But what does that really mean? As a teacher, I had to “sell” my students all the time. Whenever I taught something, it didn’t click for them until I gave them a story…usually from my own experience that it related to. That’s when they “bought” it!
As a staff developer, teachers weren’t interested in sitting in a workshop listening to the presenter throw a bunch of facts at them. They were tired and burnt out and needed a charge. Well, stories always did it for me. What is it about a story that gets people’s attention and why is it a powerful weapon in your network marketing arsenal? Why do stories sell?
Facts Tell Stories Sell
- Stories sell because they make things clear and use language people can relate to. Shooting facts at your prospects and hoping they “get” it doesn’t work. Stories lead to a better understanding of what you’re expressing and makes it easier for your prospects to see how your product or service will benefit them.
- Stories always raise curiosity. People want to know the details of what happened and how it turned out. This guarantees that your prospects will take your story in and process it. So rather than going straight for the facts, you slowly lure them into your “web” with a relevant experience and show them how your product is just the cure for what ails them or the potion for their pleasure.
- Stories calm the quiet beast. We get it! People can be scary when you get your product or service in front of them. They start out with a closed mind. They don’t want to be sold. They’re leery about anything new. They may have a preconceived notion of what it’s all about. Stories have a way of counteracting this fear, mistrust and avoidance once prospects see how the product/service is useful to someone else and can be equally useful to them.
- Stories expedite a personal connection with your prospects. Knowing you and trusting you is key if you are to ultimately make a sale. When your prospects know and trust you, they are more apt to buy from you. When they feel like they know you it’s as if they know YOUR story. This is even more powerful if it illustrates how you overcame a problem that they’re challenged with. Your prospects will want to emulate your resolve.
- Stories give your prospects the opportunity to feel what it’s like to actually possess your product or service. A well-crafted story touches their emotions so that they will feel that not having the product or service will be a loss.
- Stories place you ahead of your competition. A really great story attracts prospects to your business with a message that stands out above the rest.
But I Don’t Have A Story!
“Today everyone, whether they know it or not, is in the emotional transportation business. More and more, success is won by creating compelling stories that have the power to move people to action. Simply put, if you can’t tell it, you can’t sell it.” -Peter Guber
As critical as it is for network marketers to utilize stories as part of their presentation, some may not have a story to tell, especially if fairly new to the industry. Well, even if you don’t have a story, it’s perfectly acceptable to borrow someone’s until you have your own. Storytelling in business is a must because stories sell! A powerful tool that any networker must use in order to gain the attention of their prospects. So, what’s YOUR story?
If you found this content of value, please leave a comment and share on Facebook!
Your partner on the journey,
P. S. Get Access to the Ultimate Network Marketers’ Guide To Connecting and Recruiting People On Social Media. These Strategies Can Work Even If You’ve Had Zero Experience. Click HERE for the guide.
Theresa Lovelace: “Teaching Network Marketers Simple Online Strategies To Generate Leads, Make Sales and Recruit People Into Their Business”
If you enjoyed reading this post about Stories Sell: Powerful Tools For Your Network Marketing Arsenal, please retweet and leave a comment! Thank you.
Latest posts by Theresa Lovelace (see all)
- Are You Using Engagement Bait To Attract Visitors To Your Profile And Page? - February 12, 2018
- Using Images From The Internet – Where To Find Some Free Ones - February 1, 2018
- What Are You Posting On Social Media To Attract Your Ideal Prospect? - January 30, 2018